Journey To The East
Even more TLDR: Big spirit using 3-way-war (which he made happen) as cover to prepare and commit a destructive ritual. He wins if all 5 holy mountains are yin.
TLDR: Evil spirit is bathing all of China in a brutal, destructive war to feed an ancient ritual that will drown the world in darkness. Three kingdoms backed by three corps are battling over dominion. The Five Sacred Mountains must remain in balance or the ritual succeeds. War, intrigue, manaline madness and more are the essence of this run chain. You could also call this Romance of the Three Corps, Sixth World Dynasty Warriors, Extreme Online Empires Edition!!!
When during A Thousand Suns, Part 1, sinister agents motivated by events in the Bloodline storyline assaulted a mountain monastery, they released an evil spirit that had been locked away for milennia called Hundred Eyed Spider Demon King. Freed again, he idly gathers his dark army, and pleasantly surprised, he finds himself in a time that seems ideal for a massive ritual, heinous in nature with global consequences.
Meanwhile, the hundreds of smaller states that China had fractured into ever since the Maya Cloud sealed Tibet off from the rest of the world are being forcibly put back together by three powerful forces. To appeal to culture, spirituality and history, the forces assume the identities of the ancient Three Kingdoms Wu, Wei and Shu. To the demon scheming in the shadows it matters not who of these three forces wins; Strife and death are the only things he needs to succeed, and he will generously reward the warlords and corporations that assist him.
These are the relevant mountains in question:
- T’ai Shan (yang): Wood, enhances detection, strong in Spring (hi, Lung!)
- Heng Shan South (Zhurong Peak) (yang): Fire, enhances combat, strong in Summer
- Song Shan (balance): Earth, enhances health
- Hua Shan (yin): Metal, enhances manipulation, strong in autumn
- Heng Shan North (Xuanwu Peak) (yin): Water, enhances illusion, strong in winter
The Story So Far
- Welcome To China I: Wu forces have overwhelmed a forward military base on 11th March 2080 - The start of the 'Three Kingdoms War' (Name WIP)
- The Dark Winds From The East: Shu forces acquire a Wei military base; the Shadow Community becomes aware of evil spirits threatening the balance of China's Five Sacred Mountains
- The Inherited Fang: A magical dragonfang artifact that could have been a relevant instrument in the dark spirit's ritual is destroyed; A commander of Wu goes missing.
- Dancing In The Ruins: Groundbreaking archaeological finding reveals close friends of Emperor Shih Huang Ti to be buried alongside him in the Tombs; The Shadows become aware of focal points of balance hidden all across China that dark spirits are attempting to destroy in order to turn the polarities of the Five Sacred Mountains to yin.
- A day to remember: Zeng Tai, a master of alchemy and magical barriers, is assaulted in his home town, though the local Lone Star department confidently protects the man so he can continue his work to create special barriers that will keep dark spirits out with incredible efficiency no matter their enormous size.
- He Took The Midnight Train...: A Wuxing-owned train is hijacked close to Nepal and Bangladesh on the road from Hong Kong to New Delhi, sabotaging large-scale weapon supplies trades and deliveries
- Heavenly Strike: Military base southwest of Chengdu goes into lockdown; Shadowrunners botch a job to destroy two powerful artifacts of hatred and evil that would have empowered dark spirits further.
- Quirk of Fate: On the night of his announced power play to set up a full war campaign, Shaanxi heir Dominic L'Auvraigne turns out to be an impostor working for unnamed OC elements and is arrested on the spot.
- The Storm That Shakes Me: An EVO augmentation clinic is infiltrated to retrieve data, simultaneously averting a terrorist attack (?).
- A Thousand Suns, Part 2: The spirit of China's war saint Guan Yu and his companions are brought into the world by a mountain monk to aid in the fight against darkness. A rogue guerilla batallion attempts to disrupt the ritual but is held off by shadowrunners (Yes, this actually happened).
- Hanging by a thread: Wu commander Zhao Lei is rescued by special forces from an ambush behind enemy lines.
- If You Should Encounter God on your Journey God will be Cut: Publically, nothing happened (?). In reality, though, an ancient swordsmith's location was held secret from prying Johnsons which otherwise could have influenced the fate of the Mountains.
- Strangers in a strange land: JIS teams and Triads steal artifacts back and forth from each other, further disrupting attention from the war and focusing it on crime.
- Lost And Found: A servant of the BBEG has runners retrieve magical items that were locked away in a metaplane, which gives him the power to retake his position as lieutenant of the dark forces.
- Cyclonized Typhoon: A dude pretending to be Sauron (or Sauron himself?) is a servant of the big bad, attempting to flip a tower's polarity by assaulting a metaplane related to T'ai Shan. Runners destroy him with the Sun Wukong staff (held by a benevolent spirit, can increase reach by 1 by reducing your clubs pool by 1, works infinitely).
- Dust & Bones Post Exhumation: Living Mummy Chu Xiang gets rescued by a team hired by Wise Ed. It has ancestral knowledge of the past.
- I need a thing: Runners stop a nuke from getting into the hands of the warring nations
- Small Trouble In Big China: Social Adepts ((Church of the Benign)) turn hapless villagers and citizens into a zombie army via drugs and mental manipulation magic. Runners put a stop to them, for now.
- Capricious Wind: Wuxing Serpentine Destroyer-class vessel sabotaged by runners at the behest of Aztech Johnson Null
- Just Another Way To Die: A Look In The Eye: Island monastery near Hong Kong (by Lantau) appears to have an astral window observing T'ai Shan.
- The Forges of Ire: SK facility undermined by servants of the Hundred Eyed Spider Demon King. Recovery of ancient Chinese scroll with unknown purpose.
- Ambition To Take Over: Wu commander kidnapped and superceded by his son.
- Man-made: Mt Emei is swarmed with zombies, earthquakes ruin the landscape.
- A Journey West: Kuan-yin, an ancient and powerful individual is rescued from Mt Emei, swarmed by supremely powerful ghouls and Mutaqua.
- Into The New World: Rogue Order of the Benign member "Control" attempts to create a city-wide disaster as a result of bad feng shui, is stopped and killed.
- No One Cared Who I Was Until I Put on the Hood: Toxic influence starts corrupting former vigilantes, who turn evil and start destroying villages, stopped.
China and its various warring states. A WIP document summarizing a good bit of the setting can be found in the link below. Please leave a comment on the doc if you need any clarifications or message me (Pope Alex) on Discord if you want help coming up with a run for the chain.
This war is free from weapons of mass destruction because not only are nukes unreliable and not very plentiful due to historical events, the powerful ancestor spirits of the land also wouldn't take kindly to the destruction of essentially their homes, which all parties involved either intrinsically want to respect, or find out very quickly why they have to respect it.
There are three main players
- Wei Kingdom in northwest China, lead by self-proclaimed Beijing emperor Li Tianzi, a mystic always followed by a horde of spirits. They are mainly supported by EVO.
- Wu Kingdom in southeast China has found strength in a less republican approach to ruling and has arguably the strongest powerbase with the 'officially' uninvested Hong Kong and Wuxing at its side.
- Shu Kingdom in the west, based in Sichuan, lead by General Hong (who is The Great Dragon Lung's unwilling puppet) and additionally supported by Saeder-Krupp has too much land and too few people.
So, indirectly, Evo, SK and Wuxing have the most interest in this land war, but other corporations may try to get a foot in the door as China is indeed a promising, magically rich and geographically vast resource.
- The Great Dragon Lung and his Red Dragons Triads have been manipulating China for decades, and his lair is at the same time one of the Five Sacred Mountains, so he can't help but be involved, he has to be.
- Imperial Japan has an interest in China staying weak and will attempt sabotage of Wei or Wu plans should either of them get too big.
- War stuff. Sabotage military bases, commit espionage, misdirect troops, take fortified positions, assassinate officials, search and destroy special forces, etc.
- China is a very Awakened land and offers opportunities for settling spirit disputes and interacting with magical phenomena and historical landscapes that riddle the place.
- Mountain monasteries and secret societies can be the basis for investigation or intrigue runs that help unveil additional information about the BBEGs intentions or plans.
- The nuclear history of China allows for a lot of mutant and paracritter-related runs.
- Organized crime stuff. War is great for those who want to profit and the triads hold a lot of political sway in China. Especially the two bandit states Yunnan and Guangxi are prime locales for a good pink mohawk story fueled by drugs, big guns, bamboo forest cyberpunk wasteland and that OC feel.
- There's a couple more hooks available in the summary doc
- ((Feel free to add in more if you have any ideas))
Runs in the Chain