New Member Guide
Welcome to A Light in the Dark
You’re probably reading this because you want to play some shadowrun. Good choice; it’s super fun. Here’s how to get started:
- You might want to check out our Rules Summary; we’ve made a few changes and additions to the main rules to make playing more fun.
- Join our Discord!
- You’ll want to sign up for our Wiki.
- To create a character, you’ll need to make them a wiki page, which is a lot easier if you use this handy-dandy tool (make a copy for yourself).
- Then you can build the actual character. If you’re starting out, the best way to do this is probably with Chummer. We’ve made an add-on for chummer that reflects our rules changes that you can download here. You can also use Herolab (paid), or do it by hand (not recommended for beginners).
- Once you’ve made your character, you’re free to submit it to our Chargen Subreddit, where someone in the chargen team will look it over and get you ready to go. The exact contents of your post will be detailed there, but the main things you need are a link to your wiki page and your character sheet (probably a chummer file). If you need help, try asking on the #chargen channel in our Discord.
- Got a character? Great! Feel free to apply to the runs that are posted on our Subreddit (and also usually announced in Discord).
- Take a look at some of the characters or contacts on the wiki.
- Read about all the great ways you can earn and spend GMP.
- The detailed rules document is a big boy, but it has lots of neat stuff.
- We have a Code of Conduct, but it basically boils down to “be nice”. It isn’t required reading.
First Time Achievements!
In order to incentivize people and familiarize them with the concept of GMP (Game Master Points, which you can exchange for karma or nuyen at a rate of 3000nY or 1 karma per point), we've come up with a set of 'achievements' for some things you can do while playing in our Living Community. After you've gotten the taste for the GMP-drug and desperately need to scratch that itch further, worry not! You can earn plenty more by GMing.
- 3 GMP - Go on your first run
- 1 GMP - Build your first Contact
- 1 GMP - Write your first narrative summary as a player on a run.
- 1 GMP - Create the Wiki page for your first player character.